Networking site for Science Technicians

You are not connected. Please login or register

How many labs do you have?

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 How many labs do you have? on Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:40 am

Last edited by c.ashworth on Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

2 How many labs do you have? on Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:03 pm

Hi, we have seven labs and in September we will have eight teachers and three technicians.
I can’t see why they would reduce the number of labs when the national emphasis is hands on practical.

View user profile

3 Re: How many labs do you have? on Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:20 pm

Our school is for years 9 to 11 and sixth form, with about 1100 students. Science department has 14 labs, 13 teacher posts ( 2 people job sharing at the moment) and 3 technicians.

View user profile

4 Re: How many labs do you have? on Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:41 am

We are an all through school, although currently in science we cater for years 7-13 and have 8 labs & 11 teachers, but we will be moving to new build and have been fortunate that we will have 6 or 7 labs and a 'science studio', with 1 full time and 1 part time (term-time only for both of us) technicians.

I agree that reducing lab numbers doesn't sound ideal, some of our lessons have to be based in a normal teaching classroom due to volume of science lessons going on at one time. This does make it difficult for the teacher's planning as they have to make sure they are at the right point in the scheme of work to carry out practicals in the lab time slot, and can be very frustrating for them if they don't complete it in the lesson and so needs to be carried over.

View user profile

5 Re: How many labs do you have? on Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:26 am

c.ashworth wrote:I was just wondering how many labs do each of you have and for how many teachers?

Currently we have six labs for six teachers but next year we are getting a new school and we are only going to have two and a half labs and I really don't know how this is going to work.

So is anyone else in this situation does it work?

That sounds like it's going to bring organisational challenges. Are the teachers all full time? Or are a couple or more part-time? What do you mean by a 'half-lab'?

View user profile

6 Re: How many labs do you have? on Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:30 am

R_Bowerman wrote:We are an all through school, although currently in science we cater for years 7-13 and have 8 labs & 11 teachers, but we will be moving to new build and have been fortunate that we will have 6 or 7 labs and a 'science studio', with 1 full time and 1 part time (term-time only for both of us) technicians.

I agree that reducing lab numbers doesn't sound ideal, some of our lessons have to be based in a normal teaching classroom due to volume of science lessons going on at one time. This does make it difficult for the teacher's planning as they have to make sure they are at the right point in the scheme of work to carry out practicals in the lab time slot, and can be very frustrating for them if they don't complete it in the lesson and so needs to be carried over.

Hi R Bowerman Very Happy What will happen in the "science studio" and how will this room differ from the other labs?

View user profile

7 Re: How many labs do you have? on Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:23 am

Last edited by c.ashworth on Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

8 Re: How many labs do you have? on Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:48 am

Maggie wrote:Hi R Bowerman Very Happy What will happen in the "science studio" and how will this room differ from the other labs?

I think it means not big enough to hold a full class of 30 students therefore more suitable for smaller classes such as our 6th form. If I remember rightly it still has a teacher demo desk and access to a balcony area. We were fortunate enough to have a science teacher as our liason with the architects when it was in the planning stages so I feel we have been very lucky.

c.ashworth, have you spoken to your head of department/faculty? If so how do they feel about the drop in lab numbers? It might be possible to work out a 'plan of action' to make everyone aware of what is allowed in which rooms, when you move into them. Also if you are a member of CLEAPSS there are a couple of guides to new builds (G14 -planning and designing laboratories & PS91 concerns about new builds) which may be of use to pass on to the powers that be? Hope you get some reassurance soon.

View user profile

9 Re: How many labs do you have? on Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:33 pm

Last edited by c.ashworth on Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

10 Re: How many labs do you have? on Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:29 am

We had a new build four years ago; I was involved in the planning from the start.
I spent hours in meetings with architects and designers, working it out to the last detail (Where plug sockets were to go etc).
When we moved in things were almost as deigned.
Last month management took away our dry preparation area leaving us with a chem store and a storage room. We now have less storage and preparation area than in the old building.
My only advice to you is make the most of what you get its going to be a big change in the way you work. You can spend hours worrying and considering all that could be.
If you only have two and a half labs at least your work load will be less.
You will adapt and six months down the line you will have a routine sorted.
If there are surplus technician hours look at technicians supporting in practical lessons. That would be good CPD for the technician, and would be of benefit to the pupils, teacher, and the school.

There is an equation from Cleapss for the amount of storage space you should have depending on how many labs and students you provide for, there is also a legal minimum in new builds.

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum