Science Technicians.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Science Technicians.org

Networking site for Science Technicians

You are not connected. Please login or register

Re-aligning plotting/button compasses that won't point to North

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Rachel Rawson

Somehow a lot of our little plotting compasses were pointing to S when presented with the North end of a magnet ie pointing 180 degrees in the wrong direction. Don't know if any of you have experienced this but my tenacious colleague Katrina, undeterred by my response of "buy some new ones" and CLEAPSS advice of "take them apart and use a bar magnet to stroke the needle to re-align the domains" (very fiddly), has discovered that if you hold the North end of 2 magnets either side of the compass so that they repulse each other and hold them there for 30 seconds then take them away, the needle will once again point to North. bounce

2Re-aligning plotting/button compasses that won't point to North Empty Re-aligning plotting/button compasses Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:47 pm

DHarrison

Thank you, I will try that, we have a draw full, (don't like to throw anything away).

Maggie

That's a fab tip, Rachel Thank you. bom

Spider

It really works. I told the subject leader it was magic. She said 'no it's physics'. geek

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum