Science Technicians.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Science Technicians.org

Networking site for Science Technicians

You are not connected. Please login or register

how do you procure bits and bobs?

+3
Maggie
c.ashworth
Rachel Rawson
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1how do you procure bits and bobs? Empty how do you procure bits and bobs? Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:37 pm

Rachel Rawson

Ok here's my next query/quandary. What do you do if your school is out of the way ie not near the supermarket and you need something which is not available from Timstar or Scichem etc like spaghetti and mini-marshmallows? What a Face

2how do you procure bits and bobs? Empty Re: how do you procure bits and bobs? Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:32 am

c.ashworth

I have to get it on my way home and bring it in the next day but that is also because I am unable to drive.

3how do you procure bits and bobs? Empty Re: how do you procure bits and bobs? Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:34 am

Rachel Rawson

Do you get to claim for your time?????

4how do you procure bits and bobs? Empty Re: how do you procure bits and bobs? Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:23 am

c.ashworth

I have never thought about it but they would probably let me as I have been told before I don't need to do anything past my hours when I have stayed back to get something finished as I am the only technician.

Would your department let you finish early on the understanding you are going early to buy equipment items you can't get from educational suppliers?

One school I was an agency technician (really don't ask!) at got around it by telling the member of staff if you need it you are going to have to bring it and claim the petty cash back or if they wanted the technicians to get it they had to request it a little while in advance.

5how do you procure bits and bobs? Empty Re: how do you procure bits and bobs? Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:30 pm

Maggie

It's a lot of hassle if you have to put a request in for the money first isn't it? I think it's quite reasonable to expect to be able to leave earlier in the day to purchase the necessary things.

I had to laugh when I saw your post c.ashworth, when you said the school said you were 'only the technician'! I hope they didn't put it like that! silent

6how do you procure bits and bobs? Empty Re: how do you procure bits and bobs? Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:08 pm

c.ashworth

Oh dear I must have typed that badly again like I did in my posting about ASE membership I certainly didn't mean they say I am only a technician I meant there is only one technician in our science department in fact there are only three technicians in the whole school one for DT, one for ICT and myself.

I am forever getting told not to work over my contracted hours

7how do you procure bits and bobs? Empty Re: how do you procure bits and bobs? Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:09 am

Maggie

c.ashworth wrote:Oh dear I must have typed that badly again like I did in my posting about ASE membership I certainly didn't mean they say I am only a technician I meant there is only one technician in our science department in fact there are only three technicians in the whole school one for DT, one for ICT and myself.

I am forever getting told not to work over my contracted hours

No, not at all, you didn't type it badly - it's me who can't read. Embarassed Sorry!

Yes, the meetings between technicians from different schools have died/are dying a death it would seem. It's a shame as they were a really valuable opportunity for sharing good practice and keeping up to date with developments. At least we have this forum now and as more technicians hear about it, it should be a valuable platform for networking/sharing ideas.

Do you at least get to meet with the DT and ICT technician at all, to share experiences/discuss level of service provision/support one another,etc?

8how do you procure bits and bobs? Empty Re: how do you procure bits and bobs? Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:16 pm

DHarrison

Hi, as the only technician with a car I have the honour of picking up the shopping.
I ask that all requisition sheets are in on Thursday for the following week, I then go shopping (if necessary ) on the Friday during school time unless it is something like milk that has to be fresh, in which case I would pick it up on my way to school on the morning of the experiment.
If a member of staff wants something and has not put requisition in on time and I don’t have to pick something up that has been ordered it’s up to the member of staff to bring it in.
I gave the Science staff a policy for technical service outlining what the teachers could expect from technicians and what we as technicians expect from teaching staff.
The policy outlined expectations such as requesting a practical experiment, timing of requests, and delivery of resources to Laboratories etc..
The policy has to be agreed by the head of department to give it any credence but then everyone knows where they stand.

9how do you procure bits and bobs? Empty Re: how do you procure bits and bobs? Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:27 pm

DHarrison

Maggie wrote:Yes, the meetings between technicians from different schools have died/are dying a death it would seem. It's a shame as they were a really valuable opportunity for sharing good practice and keeping up to date with developments.
Hi, yes it’s a shame we used to have meetings with other schools in our LA but since we no longer have science advisers no one in our LA seems want to front the technician’s network anymore.
Even our local Science learning centre don't seem to be able to offer much, they say they have a technician’s network but the last email I received from the chair was to say they are no longer the chair and would let me know when they found out who was now in charge.
This site wants to set up a technician’s network with regional meetings but I guess this takes time.

10how do you procure bits and bobs? Empty Re: how do you procure bits and bobs? Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:12 am

c.ashworth

Sadly we don't really have time to sit down and talk at all. I am mad busy in one part of the school and rarely make it into the rest of the school, the same for the DT technician and the ITC technician works for RM so often has to go off and work on other sites.

Another site with a good tecnicians forum is preproom.org I'm trying to find as many as possible as having a sounding board and being able to help others is always great.

11how do you procure bits and bobs? Empty Re: how do you procure bits and bobs? Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:29 pm

williescc

We maintain our own petty cash. 2 technicians go home lunchtimes and if we want any shopping, they will leave a few minutes early and call in the supermarket/shops. If any items can wait for the weekend, we buy them with our household shopping. We don't claim for time outside our normal hours or for any mileage involved.

If teachers want an unusual item we ask them to buy it themselves (this usually results in blank stares).

12how do you procure bits and bobs? Empty buying bits and bobs Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:10 pm

suew

In the past I have always done this but as this sometimes would come to about £30 and I had to pay and then claim it back I refused and told staff they had to get it themselves. At first they did a lot of grumbling but now it is standard and they just get what I tell them they need .

13how do you procure bits and bobs? Empty Re: how do you procure bits and bobs? Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:32 pm

Rachel Rawson

We've developed a system of ordering almost everything for delivery even food etc. from Tescos. The few bits and bobs that we can't get delivered or are last minute requests then one of us will drive into town to buy during the working day and either use petty cash (which we're not supposed to have) or put in a claim.

14how do you procure bits and bobs? Empty Re: how do you procure bits and bobs? Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:45 am

Barkie

I usually get most bits n bobs over the weekend when I do my usual shopping after all the teachers have handed in requests. We might have to pop out during the week but we do have shops close to the school. Smile

15how do you procure bits and bobs? Empty Re: how do you procure bits and bobs? Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:46 am

Maggie

Rachel Rawson wrote:We've developed a system of ordering almost everything for delivery even food etc. from Tescos. The few bits and bobs that we can't get delivered or are last minute requests then one of us will drive into town to buy during the working day.....

That sounds efficient. Is it a whole school Tesco order, with other subjects like Food Technology, that would keep delivery costs to a minimum?

Barkie wrote:I usually get most bits n bobs over the weekend when I do my usual shopping after all the teachers have handed in requests. We might have to pop out during the week but we do have shops close to the school. Smile

Hi Barkie. Very Happy Do you not find though that sometimes it might take you ages to find some of the more peculiar requests? And you might have to go to a few places before you find them?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum