Science Technicians.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Science Technicians.org

Networking site for Science Technicians

You are not connected. Please login or register

Plant dissections

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Plant dissections Empty Plant dissections Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:39 pm

Rachel Rawson

Hi,

Anyone got any suggestions please?

I'm having trouble getting hold of reasonably priced flowers for dissection looking at the reproductive parts. I understand daffodils, tulips, lillies and alstroemeria are good but not always available. Has anyone any alternatives to fresh flowers - good models, dried flowers, something I haven't thought of?

Please let me know. Thanks.

2Plant dissections Empty Re: Plant dissections Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:36 am

c.ashworth

We use a large model at the school I work for, I know Timstar sell it so likely other scientific suppliers as well

I have done this with buttercups when I was a trainee teacher and the pupils then stuck the parts into their books with sellotape however not done that since.

3Plant dissections Empty Re: Plants Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:04 pm

DHarrison

We have also Buttercups, Primrose works, there is usually a cheap bunch of flowers at a local supermarket if we get stuck.

4Plant dissections Empty buttercup Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:54 pm

Rachel Rawson

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll have a look at buttercups. There should be some around the grounds hopefully. jocolor

5Plant dissections Empty Re: Plant dissections Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:13 am

jessicat

Hi

I know this is an old post but someone may be looking for help.
Our teachers love to do plant/flower dissections in winter when they are very hard to get.....
I have had great success with a local florist who will save all the flowers that are past their best or slightly damaged. We always get a great range of beautiful flowers.
I wouldn't bother asking Tesco, they told me that the dead flowers get sold. No idea who would buy them?

Hope this helps someone, Jess

6Plant dissections Empty Re: Plant dissections Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:18 am

Rachel Rawson

Hi Jess,

Thanks for your reply. Its a great idea. Ill check with our local florists to see if they are amenable.

Cheers
Rachel:flower: 

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum